Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Share the Love for Quinn 2013: Everybody has something


Everybody has something. 

I think that is one of the main things I've learned on this journey. 

Everybody has something.

Our experience and journey is unique to us but we know that there are many people we encounter every day who have something that they are challenged by, navigating, working through, or praying through. 

Some of those things are more obvious then others:

I know that about a young man who has cerebral palsy. 

Or a little boy with down syndrome.

A woman with a bald head who has cancer.

Others are unspoken:

A woman caring for her blind and mute son.

A father caring for his wife with Alzheimer's.

A mother grieving her son killed in war.

-----------------------
I pay more attention to people in grocery stores. Especially to parents with kids with some medical issue. Quinn's issues aren't obvious and people don't often notice. But, sometimes there is a look on a face that I can recognize as my own. 

When you are different in some way, people often look the other direction. When you are a parent and your child is making strange noises and drooling, people often hurry to move past you in an aisle. I always have this question in the back of my mind...I wonder if anyone has told that mom that her boy is beautiful? And honestly, I sometimes have to go down a different aisle because I don't want to cry all over that mama. 

One day, I pulled myself together and approached a woman whose elementary age son was in a stroller. I had to say something a couple of times to get her attention. You know how you can walk through a place and block people out? I do it too. So did she. I felt like I had to explain myself in some way but finally just told her that her son was beautiful and that she was doing a really, really good job. She shared with me about her son. Told me some stories. She had an older son who had passed away from the same genetic condition.

We all experience challenges and deep sorrows.

For those caring for parents, siblings or spouses, or children...

Your loved one is beautiful. You are doing a really, really good job.

I want you to know that you are not alone.

I recognize that you feel different sometimes.

That there is a responsibility to count pills, or administer treatments, or monitor safety, or be an advocate, or change diapers on your ten year old or your mother's catheter...and you may fear a trip to the ER, missing "something", making the wrong decision, not calling the doctor at the right time. May your heart be at peace.

Your loved one is beautiful. You are doing a really, really good job.
Don't give up.

Encourage someone today...

We are partnering with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Great Strides Campaign to raise money to fight this disease. We know there are many needs in the world right now but if you feel compelled to "Share the Love for Quinn" to donate $1 or one million dollars you can click on Team Win With Quinn and donate to our campaign to raise $3000.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful post from a beautiful woman. I'm relishing in your perspective tonight - thanks, Meredith!

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Tears for me on this one!! There wasn't any way around it. Love you, friend!!

Audrey Jo ...now Williamson said...

I love your heart Meredith. Thank you for writing this.