Sunday, January 6, 2013

books (post 6)

I really do love to read. 

When I moved to Indiana in 1997 we brought boxes and boxes of books. 

Because they are my friends. 

And even though I had already read most of them, they were on my shelves and were comfortable and reminded me of who I was and who I wanted to be and the power of a story. 

In 1999 when I graduated and moved back home we shipped boxes and boxes of books. While my dad and I drove back to Oregon. 
Boxes and boxes.

I thought I might share what books I'm reading right now and will hopefully finish in January.

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
I started this in December, had to return it to the library, and just got it back again. I love libraries. Voskamp is really a writer/poet. She has been naming some things that I've thought but didn't know how to articulate. How do you give thanks in the hard and ugly and bitter?
 
The Mister Rogers Parenting Book by Fred Rogers
I got this from the library after the Sandy Hook tragedy. Just felt like Mr. Rogers still has wisdom to share about caring for our kids. 
 
The Wild Trees by Richard Preston
My dad gave me this book to read and it is a fascinating account of the people who have looked for the tallest trees in the world...their personal stories, climbing details, discoveries, and some crazy escapades in the middle of the Redwoods.
 
Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches by Rachel Jankovic
I always appreciate hearing the stories and perspectives from another mom--helps me think about parenting in a different way. Plus, I've found some ideas that we've incorporated with Quinn and Sela which have been helpful too.

I request/keep more books than I can read at any given time and wind up having to send them back to the library. Maybe I'll start a book list of the ones I'm trying to get to as well :) 

Any book suggestions for me?

2 comments:

Sally said...

Do you read printed books or via e-readers? Or both?

Kim said...

Ooo, I love books too! Reading "The Blue Sweater" right now, and "Les Mis" after watching the movie. Wow - redemption!