Thursday, September 15, 2011

120 mph


September kicked off with Sela's 2nd birthday and Quinn starting kindergarten. Ryan beginning his final MBA course while starting a new year recruiting students and leading his team. Me working 20 hours a week and planning a benefit concert for CF with some friends.

While everything else we normally do continues too.
We typically choose to do life so we have more space and less commitments.
It just feels better.

I'm grateful for some opportunities to work--I'm helping out in my old position as Student Transitions Program Coordinator at George Fox while the current coordinator is on maternity leave for the month. It has been really great to reconnect with colleagues, to interact with students, to think about student development, and what I love about Christian Higher Education.

It has also reminded me that my identity is no longer what I do or don't do. Those things are a part of me but they don't define me. For years that identity was very important to me. How we live is now more important to me than what I do. It has been a process, especially revealing over the last few months, but very good.

I still have some compulsive work tendencies...thinking about tasks and people, worrying about things, checking email, you get the picture. But at least I have some perspective too.

October will be a welcome month. Ryan finishes his last MBA class (October 17th at 10pm but who is counting?), my commitment at work finishes, we'll celebrate Ryan's 34th birthday on October 24th...

and we'll have an AMAZING concert at George Fox University with Tyrone Wells on October 6th. A benefit concert for Cystic Fibrosis...all proceeds go to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation! More info to come...tickets are just $10...we are really excited! Stay tuned and add Tyrone to your Pandora station. My cousin is SO good! :)

1 comment:

Audrey said...

"How we live is now more important to me than what I do." I love this, Mere! This is beginning to define me in so many ways too and that shift has been very good. And October is a huge/relieving/momentous month for us too so I share in your celebration!