Friday, May 13, 2011

The Year that Changed the World

One of the things that is life-giving to me is reading. Fiction, non-fiction, anything. I love history. I can think of lots of things I'd like to learn more about or things I would research for a PhD and one of them is the series of events in the late 80's that led to the fall of the Berlin Wall. The fall of communism in Eastern Europe, the changes in the USSR, the individuals that sacrificed for the opportunity to have choices. I finally got a chance to read "The Year that Changed the World: The Untold Story Behind the Fall of the Berlin Wall" by Michael Meyer. Great journalistic account from interviews during the revolutions. Conversations, rallies, strategy sessions, and thoughts from leadership--those that sought leadership and those that had leadership thrust upon them. History really is the study of leadership. Reading this book while watching the wave of changes in the Middle East--different circumstances and history but similar in the willingness of individuals to stand up for their commitment for change and a better future. I lived in Egypt in the Spring of 1997 and it holds a special place in my heart.

No comments: