Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK and me

It seems like my birthday always falls on the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday...well, I guess every few years but it feels like it. And I'm good with that shared day. My fascination with MLK began when I was in the 6th grade and his example, speeches, and writings influenced how I saw others and conflicts. It also launched my interest in Gandhi and eventually Mother Teresa.

Quinn and I talked on Saturday about MLK on his actual birthday.
Talking about how people who were not white...
Could not vote.
Go into stores.
Go into the movie theater.
Get a drink of water.
Go to school with white people.
Talking about that with a 4.5 year old and watching some of MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech on YouTube was important. And pretty moving. To see all of the people gathered, unified, and standing up for what they believed. Powerful.

The two things that stood out to me in my conversation with Quinn:
1. That he put it together...that God loves everybody and made us with different colors of skin.
2. His innocence...why would someone not like someone because of skin color. Or because of hair color. I had said, "It is like if someone didn't like you because your eyes are brown." To which Quinn responded, "Then I'd make my eyes blue." And it made me think about all the self-hatred that has been perpetuated because some feature was named unworthy and unwanted...to just change that one thing and then they would like me.

My prayer for Quinn is that he will recognize that he is loved by God and created by Him...
"so that the works of God might be displayed in him" (John 9:3). And in turn, Quinn will share that with others and draw them to Jesus and the freedom of Christ.

My 34th birthday. 34 years. And I suppose that my prayer for Quinn is the same for myself...

No comments: