Friday, May 21, 2010

Yum-O

Yesterday we had good adventures! The weather couldn't make up its mind...rain, sun, thunder, hail, or clouds? So how about a little bit of everything. During the last sunshine of the day, Quinn climbed a tree in the back yard and we saw the first iris bloom of the spring.

We had a good day getting a few things at the grocery store in order to spend some time at our friend Natasha's house getting a tutorial on making homemade baby food!

I've been thinking a lot about food...I like food. It really is so delicious. I've lost 42 pounds since September. I have 3 pounds to go to hit pre-baby weight and my goal was to be there by June. I think that last bit will have to come off during the summer because Nan, the midwife extrodinaire, wants me to eat more. Again, I like food. This is not a challenge for me :) I realized that while I want to get to that pre-baby weight, I also want to be strong. Not strong like "I'll never need help lifting a heavy object, Ryan you're out of a job" strong but strong like "confident, take care of my body" strong. Which means I might need to pull out the weights I bought in January and used five times and really start using them and moving. I think I could be excited about that.

Sela started on solids at about 6.5 months. It has been a really good and smooth process introducing new foods to her. She is an eager eater...she knows that sitting in the highchair means that food is right around the corner and initially she would make this little grunting sound like she was reminding us she was ready and waiting to munch on some goodness. She eats carrots, sweet potatoes, peas with brown rice, green beans, rice cereal, oatmeal, prunes, winter squashes, summer squashes, applesauce, bananas, mangoes, shredded cheese, yogurt, chicken mixed in with veggies, egg yolk, and pears plus maybe a few other things. She didn't like peaches...too tart and she wasn't so sure about whole plain yogurt but today was our first attempt.

Thinking about feeding Sela really evoked some powerful feelings surrounding food. The first centered on what it was like feeding Quinn. In many ways, that first year is a total blur and I can't remember things, almost like I blocked them out. In another way, the anxiety and fear surrounding feeding Quinn was right at the surface and rather than specific moments, I remember lots of throwing up, lots of crying (by Quinn and me), and lots of helplessness. Until he was diagnosed with reflux, there wasn't anything to stop the vomiting and then the push to pump him with calories really stunted what we could do in exploring food. If I knew then what I know now it might have been different but I didn't. With Sela, this is so simple. She just eats. She doesn't throw up. She likes it. Easy. Yeah for Sela!

The other thing that I've been thinking about is what Sela is eating...organic or non-organic. And if I'm wondering about that for Sela, then what does that mean for the rest of us? Is it important? And how does eating organically impact a food budget? Learning how to make our own baby food will answer a bit of both of those questions. That conversation will continue!

Natasha showed me the ropes and we did carrots, broccoli, cantaloupe, and mangoes. Got them all blended up and then filled up quite a few ice cube trays. It was a great first attempt and I feel more confident in how to do more in the future.

Now off to eat a bedtime snack!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I'll have to show you how I do apple sauce when apples are in season again. It's so good, you might not want to share with the kids. ;)