Sunday, December 6, 2009

Holly Jolly Christmas

After Thanksgiving we started a new family tradition--and it is fun to start traditions as a little family of four! Friday morning I made chocolate chip scones which were delicious and Ryan made us coffee. We all had a yummy breakfast together, turned on the Christmas music, and decorated the house.

Quinn and Ryan put some lights outside along our walkway and the nativity scenes, stockings, candles, and snowmen made the rounds inside.

We cleared the way for our tree which we got on Saturday! We headed out to a tree farm in Dundee that was selling noble firs for $5 each--U Pick, they cut! We walked through their farm at dusk and got just the right tree for our house.
Quinn and I decorated the Christmas tree--I decorated the top and he decorated the bottom (there are a lot of candy canes on the bottom)!


At Sunday School Quinn made a little clay Advent wreath and we've been able to light a little candle and read a verse these last two Sundays. Our Advent calendar is up and each day Quinn chooses a word to hang up. We get to talk about what the word means (like "mercy") and Quinn looks forward to hanging it up.

4 comments:

Jenn P. said...

I forgot about your Advent calendar! Except for the nativity one my mom made, yours is my favorite ever. Thanks for the reminder. Merry Christmas :)

Wilson Family said...

Wow, what a great idea. Did you create the calendar and idea yourself? I'd love to know more. I'm stilling looking for an advent tradition for our family.

Jamie said...

Love that idea! I would love to know more about how that advent calendar works too! :) And that wreath is so CUTE. I remember doing an advent wreath as a kid and loved it.

meredith said...

I'll post a little something about how this calendar came about. It is super easy to do and it really has been a fun (and educational) way to remember what Christmas is all about!