Thursday, July 9, 2009

Restoring Order

We've been tackling projects right and left this summer and mapping out what we have left to do before Baby Dos arrives! It has been exciting to see what we've been able to accomplish with a few things left on my massive list!

I read on a blog somewhere that organizing is like housecleaning. You don't expect to clean your house once and have it stay cleaned. You can't expect to organize your house and expect it to stay organized. Taking care of what you do have takes some time, energy, and a little planning. While we've been organizing and cleaning, I've been trying to reassess what is working for us and what needs "some love" to make it work for us now.

Here are some things that we've tackled:
  • Quinn's closet and room
  • Sorting through our closet
  • Sorting through the hall closet
  • Sorting through all of the baby clothes
  • Purging all of our books
  • Going through 18 boxes of "stuff" in the garage--this one bullet point really deserves 18 bullet points! Clothes to memory boxes to pictures to old school stuff...I now only have four boxes in the garage
  • Clearing out major items in the garage (linoleum from a bathroom remodel, unused big items, unused little items)
  • Participating in the annual multi-family garage sale with some friends
  • Collecting items we need for Baby Dos
  • Weeding and getting the front yard in proper order
  • Weeding and getting the back yard in proper order (which we hired someone to do because sometimes you have to be honest with yourself and say, "Call in the reinforcements!" and it was the BEST $40 we've spent all summer!!! I wish we had before shots because the after...all I can say is that not a weed is in site and I can see the back corner of our yard because all the ferns and pine cones are gone...)
  • Installed new hardware in the hall bathroom (now the bathroom remodel is complete!)
  • Wash and iron all the curtains
  • Put up fire alarms in bedrooms
  • Wash windows (living areas, kitchen, bathrooms...I just have to finish the bedroom windows inside and out)
Here are some things that we'll be completing in the next two months:
  • A room makeover for Quinn with new paint and ways to organize his toys!
  • The hall linen/storage closet
  • Completing Baby Dos' room
  • Experimenting with some furniture arrangements in the house (for which I'm open to suggestions if you want to have a look!)
  • Scrub all the Pergo in the house (because I'm preggo and want it all scrubbed before Baby Dos arrives :) )
  • Install the master bedroom closet organizer
  • Reorganize the items that remain in the garage for easiest access
  • Paint some bedroom furniture
  • Finish the decorative items that I just haven't put up
  • Touch up the caulking in the house that needs it
  • Keep up the outdoor weeding, lawn care
  • Determine new desk/papers/system for better organization and access
I think we can do it! I'm thankful for what we've been able to tackle so far and there really is a sense of accomplishment when you see order come with completed projects. It makes you want to do some more :) I hope I'll remember to take some before and after shots and post what we're able to complete in July and August!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Mer -
I am thinking I may need to glean from your organizing expertise... I was forced to downsize when I moved to Longview, and now I'm trying to put things away in Paul's house where there is no room and lots of STUFF! It's overwhelming. :) Lots of organizing coming my way!

Smith Family said...

Wow! I'm tired just reading your list. That's a big accomplishment. Good job!! We'll pray for Quinn's apt. today.