Sunday, June 14, 2009

Poll

My blogging as of late has been pretty sporadic. I have lots of things that I'm thinking about. Lots of random things to share. Pictures I really should post so I can talk about Quinn and babies and family and lots of other things. I am a processor so blogging initially was about me being able to connect that process to the rest of the world (i.e. family and friends that read this) so I wasn't alone in the house with a small child talking to myself. You can picture it can't you? I'm on facebook now too but haven't joined the twitter ranks. Even with facebook, I take a quick look at statuses but I'm not a big contributer to the social network. And, even with blogs, I like to read about the experiences of others and how they are doing life--even if I don't know them.

Because I process things, I'm processing how "plugged in" I am to online "stuff" and if I want to be more intentional about putting my thoughts and whatever else is floating around in my brain out here on the blog. Like, I'm really enjoying organizing and purging the house and I could blog about it but does anyone else want to know about it? :) Or, I'm committed to reading through all of the Henri Nouwen books I have. Or, we cut the cable umbilical cord on May 1st and it has been really good for us to not have cable and a big change for us. Or, I've watched some really excellent movies recently and have been really moved (I have to give a big recommendation for "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas").

I have a little poll going to get a little feedback about the direction of this blog. I'm considering keeping the blog and writing more often. Or, letting go of the blog. I know different seasons have different needs so I'm trying to assess what this season needs.

Be sure to click on the poll...I'm curious about how many people read this and the poll is anonymous. If you want to leave a comment and give some feedback, feel free :)

9 comments:

Courtney said...

I vote for keeping the blog. I read blogs to stay connected to the outside world while I'm home talking to the baby all day. I even read them to him... even though he doesn't appreciate the information, he seems to like the reading.

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

I love checking in with the Dougherty family since I don't get to see you guys much (even though we're only 20 minutes from each other!) I say blog when you can and share what's on your mind at that moment! ;) Plus, when that sweet baby of yours is here, I'll want to see pictures!!

Mrs. Chappy said...

I read your blog and think it's a great way to keep in touch, as well as process. SO I say keep it up! You just have to not feel guilty if you don't write as often as you "think you should." As much as your blog may be for other people, it's also for yourself.

Beth said...

Meredith! Keep it! I enjoy reading about what all four of you are up to. We subscribe to your blog through google reader and it's really easy to know when you've updated. There's no pressure to post anything profound or remarkable, for it's often in the daily routines and thoughts of life that people connect and reveal reality. :-)

Stephanie said...

Hi Meredith! I enjoy reading what's going on in your life, especially since I so rarely see you! I appreciate both your insightful posts and your "I cleaned a closet" posts, and will sorely miss them all if you say adios to the blog. But I would understand if you gave it up too...blogs shouldn't be a burden to the writer.

Shannon said...

Blog when you can and that is enough! It is fun to hear your voice as I read what you write--it makes me feel connected to you and that precious family of yours.

Sally said...

Hi Mer, I admit that I'm a sporadic blog reader, but yours is in my (short) bookmark list and now I'm a subscriber. I always learn valuable things from reading your posts - from getting the latest update on your family to feeling like my own mind and thoughts have been broadened and challenged by the thoughts you share. However...I realize this blog can feel like work at times and so would fully understand if you need to take a break from it for awhile or indefinitely.

Meg said...

Hey Meredith! This is Meg... Miller... And this is my first time posting on a blog. This is my first time reading your blog. I am so out of touch with blogs and blogging and bloggers and bloggidy blogness that I even hesitate to go out on this comment limb, but I just want you to know I support your future decision, whatever it may be. I hope to read new blog entries from you when I find myself reading blogs, but as a non-committal 'social network' user, I find it completely understandable if you take a leave of absence. I enjoy when our paths cross, cyber or not. However, this type of random-chance viewing isn't really what blogging is all about. That's what facebook statuses are for, right? So perhaps my vote is void. Anyhow, these are my 2... or maybe 3 cents. :) Wishing you the best.

Audrey said...

I am with Meg, I support you either way. I want to blog and process but find myself slow to commit because it is, a commitment :)
So, I say Blog as your heart desires...and when you do I will read it and smile and feel connected to you even though in life it can be difficult to connect these days.
Hugs to you,
Audrey :)