Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy 6th of July!

We had a great 4th of July weekend with plenty of excursions and food. It was good to spend time with family and to do have some adventures out and about just the three of us. On the morning of the 4th we took a trip out to Multnomah Falls. The highlight, besides the amazing falls, was the train and Quinn finding all the train tracks he could as we drove to and from the Falls. Here it is in Quinn's words:

video

It feels like it is about the middle of the summer of the there are still lots of things we want to do but our time to do it is quickly passing by! Do you ever feel like that? April and August tend to be full months in Higher Education so in some ways it feels like once August comes...summer is on hold. I think I might claim September as summer too. Can a person do that? I guess I just did!

I'm thankful we live in a place where we are free to seek God, to meet together to worship in public places, and to live in ways we believe honor the Lord. There is much persecution across the world in ways we don't even comprehend. I'm reminded of a service I attended in Cairo in which members of the secret police were present. I'm also reminded of another service I attended in Cairo with believers from Africa, Scandinavian countries, Europe, North and South America, and Australia. A sweet Easter service where the music was full of joy and singers dressed in African and Middle Eastern garb, and the bright colors of South America, and the casual dress of college students from the States. And it was full of freedom and truth because it was all about Jesus. I'm reminded of another worship time in which I met three men who had been persecuted by friends, family, and government for choosing to follow Jesus. And I clearly remember the description of one man who had been stripped naked and placed in a small cement cell in solitary confinement and the testimony he gave of worshipping Jesus and praising him in the midst of his persecution. Eventually released, he counted it great joy to share in the sufferings of Christ. The experiences and stories are important to me because they help me understand more about true freedom in Christ.

We have much to be thankful for...and much to pray for...

I'm thankful for a chance to spend time with my family and take sweet trips to Multnomah Falls.

1 comment:

Wilson Family said...

Glad Jen asked me to check this out! Quinn is looking so big! Aidan was sitting on my lap watching this and said he wants to play with that kid sometime. We miss you guys. Thanks for making entries on here.

Andy

P.S. Nice beard Ryan.