Friday, February 15, 2008

Six degrees of separation

I lived in Cairo for four months and met some amazing men and women. My experience with other students living in community and doing life in intense ways was a privilege. One of those women is now living with her family in Afghanistan doing relief work--of the body and the spirit. The picture above is of a family in her region living in a tent city--there is snow behind them and if you look the woman's feet are bare. Prayer is needed both for this friend and her family and for the family you see here. Financial help is needed to help supply clothes, blankets, clean water and food. Supernatural intervention is needed to help in a battle that is not against flesh and blood...

I saw on CNN in January that two aid workers had been abducted in the region my friend serves. I took a second look when I thought it might be her...but it was someone working with a different agency. Today I was reminded of that double take because the abducted workers are co-workers of my friend. Local Afghan women even staged a protest calling for the release of the female aid worker (see story here--such a protest is somewhat of a revolution in and of itself). When I play the proverbial "Six Degrees of Separation" I find that this kidnapping hits a lot closer to home than just seeing a blurb on CNN.

2 comments:

Peter and Beth said...

More than a blurb indeed! Cyd is a dear friend of our close family friends, the Lees. We've been praying for her safe keeping as well.

Peter and Beth said...

Meredith - I'm sorry I don't have your e-mail address, but want to make sure that you're aware of the latest events regarding Cyd and her driver in Afganistan. I know you were praying for them. Sadly, she passed away recently. Here's a link: http://arldf.net I smile when I consider what she's doing right now. Beth