Monday, January 21, 2008

Shed a Little Light

When I was in the sixth grade it was the twentieth anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. I remember watching videos about him and I wrote a poem called "He Fought With Words Not His Hands". When I was in the seventh grade I read his autobiography--I found it on a bookshelf amongst my parents' books (I also read the autobiography of Malcom X and some of Gandhi's that year). I really liked him. Maybe because our birthdays were so close together. Or because he inspired me. Or because he said things that were true and bold about how we treat one another. He pushed the Civil Rights Movement forward and spoke out against injustice.

Here is a photo essay by Time of Martin Luther King, Jr. Notice the role of college students and MLK--students made a huge contribution to the civil rights movement and I love that. We all have the potential to cause great change.

There is a song by James Taylor that I love called "Shed a Little Light" (this link will take you to a site to listen to it) that starts off by saying, "Let us turn our thoughts today to Martin Luther King...".

Check out the song and turn your thoughts today in the direction of his message of justice and peace. What can we be doing today?

No comments: