Saturday, November 17, 2007

Pumpkin Recipes III

I think this may be my final installment of pumpkin recipes but I think I've left the best for last. My sister and I made up some pumpkin spice rolls yesterday afternoon and I think these are the hit of the season!

Pumpkin Spice Rolls (from my Aunt Donna)

Ingredients:
Cake
3 eggs
1 c sugar
2/3 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
2/3 c canned pumpkin
powdered sugar
thin dish towels (not terry cloth)

Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese
2 tbsp butter/margarine
1 tsp vanilla
1 c powdered sugar

First make the "cake". Beat the three eggs and add pumpkin. In a separate bowl mix together all the dry ingredients. Mix wet and dry ingredients all together. Pour batter into a well greased and floured jelly roll plan. I used a pan with sides about an inch high (17x11x3/4). Spread the batter out all over the pan so it is very thin (a spatula or a knife spreads to the edges really well).

Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes (watch how it bakes the first time so it isn't too done). Take out of oven and let it cool a bit. Trim off the edges if they are a little crustier and even up the sides. Prepare a thin dish towel by heavily sprinkling with powdered sugar. Coat the towel well so the cake doesn't stick to the the towel. Turn the cake onto the towel (exposed top of the cake flips onto the powdered sugar). Roll the cake up in the towel starting along the long side. Put in the fridge to continue to cool.

Filling:
Soften cream cheese and butter. Put all ingredients together and beat until smooth.

Unroll cooled cake and spread with the filling. Re-roll. Wrap the pumpkin roll in saran wrap and foil.Refrigerate or freeze (will keep for 1 month). 1 large can of pumpkin will make four rolls (the last batch will have a little more pumpkin it it).

This recipe may sound like complicated BUT it actually goes very quickly once you get started! I have two jelly roll plans I use when I'm making these. It is an inexpensive dessert that is easy to make and great to eat (it is even good frozen)! Make some now and freeze it for later! Or cut it in half and give them away as holiday treats!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

These are soooo good! Easy to make, too!