Friday, August 31, 2007

Thoughts today...

I've picked a day for the garage sale--September 8th--next Saturday. I've continued to put items out in the garage in preparation for the big day. As I've continued through Marva Dawn's book, "Keeping the Sabbath Wholly", it has continued to be challenging to think about what my life revolves around. From some Jewish writings she explains that the Sabbath was the day and every other day revolved around the Sabbath.

I was reading cnn.com this morning and read through a story about the thousands of people affected by nuclear testing in Kazakhstan. Families, children, communities suffering from mutations, deformities, and abnormalities after nuclear testing was done for years in the region. My heart hurts. Reading these stories tell me how much evil has been done and the impact of those evils. I feel for these men, women, and children suffering because of the decisions of individuals years and years ago. And I wonder if when we hear these stories we allow ourselves to connect with them or do we keep a safe distance. Parker Palmer once said that hearing the stories from the Holocaust should make us weep. But we often hear them as part of the facts of history--we stick to the facts. But the individual stories...the heart of history...the hearts of people...it is the story of the communities in Kazakhstan.

I started "Mere Christianity" this week. First off, C.S. Lewis is brilliant and it takes me some time to sit and think about what he is presenting. When I read things I have to let them roll around in my brain and let them settle in. I'll be chewing on it for awhile.

No comments: