Sunday, August 12, 2007

Simplifying



Quinn outgrew his sandals and we wanted to find something that would be a transition from summer to fall...thus a pair of orange Crocs. Quinn loves them and keeps asking us to put them on him even with his pajamas on. At the mall kiosk he checked out Crocs and everyone else that walked by, giving each one his special one-handed Quinn wave. Most of the time people waved back--including the high school tough guys. Today Quinn said, "hi Crocs".

I've always liked the idea of simplicity (it helps living in a Friends-full community) and in my ideal world it would be something I thought of often and practiced much. In the past few weeks a few ideas of come to mind and I'm actually trying to put them into practice.

I'm planning for a garage sale at the end of the month. As I've thought of items to put in the garage sale I've added them to my "garage sale list" and moved some items to the garage. I found some things that I've had since high school--earrings from my Junior Prom (big, red, and gold!). It has made me think about why we have certain things, what was important about them initially, and what needs to be recycled. I can sort through Quinn's toys and clothes. I can whittle down the projects or "hobbies" I was going to begin and I can admit that they aren't going to happen. Ahhh...freedom.

I took a look at my closet and took a stack of clothes and shoes to New To You consignment in Mac. It was pretty liberating to look at the space in the closet.

My old boss and friend Dave gave me a book five years ago by Marva Dawn called "Keeping the Sabbath Wholly". I didn't have time to read it. That statement holds a LOT of irony because it is probably one of the things I needed to read the most. I have a hard time slowing down and I hate to leave things unfinished or incomplete. I want to get it done and I will keep pushing until the project--big or small--is done. The idea of stopping for a whole 24 hours goes against my typical way of thinking. Dawn points back to Sabbath keeping and the point of "ceasing, resting, embracing, and feasting". Over and over again she refers to the rhythm of six days of work and one day devoted to Sabbath--devoted to honoring God, spending time with family, being refreshed, and realigning priorities with God's versus work, accomplishment, or worry. So far, it has been very eye-opening and heart-opening. I think it is the very thing I've needed to read.

A few other items that I'm hoping to read/listen to:
The Divine Embrace-Robert E. Webber
Prayer: Does it really work? Yancey
Holy God-Brian Doerksen
The Divine Mentor-Wayne Cordero
For These Tough Times-Max Lucado
Praying God's Word Daily-Beth Moore

Simplifying in thought and practice...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hi friend! I loved reading about simplifying life. Jeff and I aren't so good at that. Moving so much has helped us a little but not much! :)
I don't think I told you but I'm an RD now which is so wonderful. We're in training and I'm tired but it's a happy tired which I'm thankful for.
Tell Ryan hi for us!
Blessings,
Sarah