Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Transplant Shock

At the beach a few weekends ago with the gals in my small group, Kim and I had a conversation about "transplant shock". I had been talking about the transitions of this past year and how a year later I could see growth and "the blooms" appearing. Like my blog says, it is a new season. Kim shared about transplanting a plant in her yard from one area to another that would be better for it. While the plant made the move, it didn't automatically thrive and grow. Because she likes to know why, she did some research and found out some facts about transplant shock in the plant world. For instance, when a plant is moved the root system typically sustains damage. When planting the bush in a new area, it literally may go into shock while the root system takes time to reestablish itself. Sometimes there is a lot of work going on below the surface that isn't seen above ground until one day...

when the plant begins to grow some new shoots or buds.

Something green begins to appear.

The plant is a little more alert.

Sometimes the plant recovers quickly and sometimes the process takes longer.

I think that is how I have felt in this last year. My "transplant shock" took awhile. My roots needed the time to be reestablished in a new place and experience. Slowly the new growth could take place--the new strength to arrive. And now, I really do feel like I am in a new season and have the opportunity to bloom. The analogy is so helpful to me because transitions, change, and the unexpected are what we can expect. I want to get to the new season now and not later but that isn't how things work.

God has done some significant things in gardens. The Garden of Eden. The Garden of Gethsamene. Jesus is the true vine and God is the gardener (John 15:1). He can be trusted. There is always work going on in the soil--and that really is the most important spot. The blooms are beautiful but the strength is in the root.

No comments: